Saturday, April 15, 2006

Holy Day / Holiday


Tomorrow (Sunday) most of the western world recognizes as Easter. For many of you it will be a day of ham dinners, chocolate bunnies, jelly beans and brightly colored hard boiled eggs. For some it will be a time of attending church, or simply quiet reflection pondering the atonement and resurrection of Jesus Christ. For my Orthodox friends it will be Palm Sunday, the beginning of Holy Week to culminate in Pascha on April 23.

What is Easter like at your house?

When I was growing up it was a time for spiffy new outfits (although sometimes those outfits included really stupid looking hats ….hey Sharon how come I got stuck with the one that looked like a frisbee on my head??)


I remember hiding grapefruits instead of eggs one year when I was a kid…not exactly sure why. Perhaps because they were plentiful and easier to find? I have a few vague memories of a picnic one year with my family out by the old swinging bridge – I remember catching tadpoles and pollywogs in the river and being scared to death when my brothers ran across the ancient suspension bridge causing it to sway. Couldn't find any pictures of the ACTUAL bridge - but here's some others you bridge fans may enjoy: http://www.bridgemeister.com/imgpage/old1.htm

The first year that Larry and I lived in Ohio (1981) we hid colored eggs in the snow for our kids to find – big change from all our years in Arizona. Judging by the looks of the storm we’ve had here all day, folks I know up on Weston Mountain will be doing the same this year.

For me it will be a quiet, reverent day. I'll go to church and try to teach a lesson on the atonement to a group of 5-7 yrs olds that will no doubt rockin' on a sugar high from early morning raids of candy. Then I will come home and cook a ham, and probably make some phone calls to each of my siblings.

Whatever it is that you believe, or whatever your Easter traditions may be, many blessings to you as you celebrate this sacred time.

2 comments:

layne (herman) said...

As a kid on Easter my parents would hide the hard boiled eggs that we had decorated and my sister and I would go and try to find them.

Often we would then hide the eggs for our parents to find while they took a walk.

One year my Dad's birthday fell on Easter and we hid his presents and he had to go find them.

We never did the plastic egg thing; though this seems to be a tradition we have done with our kids... filling plastic eggs with assorted candy and then having them go find them --and then we try to teach our kids not to eat things they find on the ground.

LJB said...

Yeah, we hid hard boiled eggs most the time. Occassionally we'd hide one a little too well and then only find it a long time later when it had started to rot and stink. Maybe that's what prompted the grapefruit aberration?

I was surprised to see dyed hard boiled egges for sale in the grocery this year. I was disappointed. Half the fun was making the things even if we did create a terrible mess all over our mother's table. Convenience over creativity is simply going too far if you ask me.